Perusing the news
I've been far too busy lately for indepth blogging of any sort. I'm afraid that trend is likely to continue for the next few months. That being the case, I'll offer up these two interesting stories I perused today.
#1 A story from the NY Times elaborating on the Norwegian view of the world. So who here knew Norway was the third largest exporter of oil in the world...?
Norway, the world's third-largest oil exporter, behind Saudi Arabia and Russia, has been made wealthy by oil. Last year alone, oil export revenue surged 19 percent, to $38 billion.
But no other major oil exporter has tried to reel in its own fuel consumption with as much zeal as Norway. These policies have resulted in Norwegians consuming much less oil per capita than Americans - 1.9 gallons a day versus almost 3 gallons a day in the United States- and low car ownership rates. On city streets and rural roads, fuel-efficient Volkswagens and Peugeots far outnumber big sport utility vehicles.
#2 A story on the relationship between Iran and Iraq from NPR. What I found most interesting about the story (and you're going to have to listen to it to catch it...) was a side comment near the end mentioning that the newly-elected Iraqi government is far more conservative than would likely be elected in a free and fair election within Iran.
Tags:
No comments:
Post a Comment