"Meet the metaverse, your new digital home"
Well...maybe not YOURS - but it is certainly home to those who wrote this report and are positioned to benefit from digital advances. An interesting theory - and very likely to be true for the digital elite. But how large a segment of society will that digital elite be? And how much more of a disadvantage will those left out be at?"The Internet in 2016 will be an all-encompassing digital playground where people will be immersed in an always-on flood of digital information, whether wandering through physical spaces or diving into virtual worlds."
Even today, I am close to having access to a near-constant flood of information with my smart phone, a laptop that rarely leaves my side, and a level of comfort with new technology that leads me to use it routinely. But I don't think that I am anywhere near the norm. And I am on the lower edge of the digital elite - a basic consumer of tools already produced, not deeply involved in the development of such tools. If my ability to rapidly access information elevates me substantially above most of my colleagues and friends (most of them at least comfortable with the basics of the Information Revolution) - and I am merely an informed amateur, how much will continued (rapid) evolution serve to further separate those on opposite sides of the digital divide? An interesting question, I think.
No comments:
Post a Comment