So the Big Man is a Steelers fan?
I'm not a huge sports fan...or maybe "sports spectator" might be a better term. I like to play sports, I like watching college hockey, I occasionally suffer through a Vikings football game, and NHL playoff games can be fun to watch - but that's about the extent of it.
I do, however, tend to peruse Fox's sport website to track the NFL from time to time. Maybe I should just concentrate on the stats...because whenever they start interviewing players it tends to get me going.
In case anyone was wondering where God was during the tsunami and its aftermath, apparently he's a big Steelers fan:
"I've never seen anything like it," Steelers linebacker Larry Foote said. "I'm not going to say it was a miracle, because that's crippled people getting up and walking, the blind seeing. But that's the closest thing to it I've ever seen."
Steelers center Jeff Hartings felt much the same way, saying, "God gave us another chance."
Um...yeah. They're talking about missed field goals. At least Larry had the sense to include SOME sort of caveat in describing this "miracle." As for Jeff? Get a grip, big fellah.
I'm not a big believer in the idea of divine intervention in pretty much ANY aspect of life. Did the big man start things off way back when? Hey, to me that's sounds as good as the Big Bang. Maybe he set it off, maybe he didn't. Maybe he's a "he" maybe he's a "she." Maybe he's a figment of our collective imaginations. I won't dwell on that issue. What I WILL dwell on is the thought that people assume this almighty being chooses to intervene in such banal day-to-day affairs as a freakin' FOOTBALL game. And it's not even the SUPER BOWL fer Chrissake.
Let me just throw this out there for everyone: an omnipotent being is very unlikely to take sides in sporting events, wars, or politics. No matter how much more one side prays than the other. You wanna believe in God? Go for it. Believe in a God that rewards those who treat others fairly and humanely. Believe in a God that expects peace and an understanding of others. But don't think prayer wins battles, games, or elections.
On a lighter note, apparently no one has informed David Adesnik of OxBlog that God was rooting for the Steelers. If only you'd prayed harder, Dave!
religion
No comments:
Post a Comment